1. Information Collection
Kinja or third parties may collect information from our users at several different points on Kinja.
- Mailing Lists & Service Emails - Kinja may launch a mailing list, in order to provide subscribers with relevant information - breaking news, or weekly or daily round-ups, for example. In order to sign up to receive regular emails from a site's mailing list, users must submit information including a valid email address and demographic information such as location and interests. This information may be used in aggregate form in order to assess general user interest in various internal and third party products and services. Your personal and contact information will not be passed to any other organization. Users who choose to sign up for a mailing list may receive regular emails from the site. Kinja may from time to time track user email usage in a continued effort to improve our services. Most of the time, these communications will consist of content from the site in question, but we may occasionally send out an email from a third party sponsor. Since editorial independence is critical to us, you can be sure that we will always mark sponsored content as such, including in emails. If you do not wish to receive emails from third party advertisers, please do not sign up for the mailing list.
- Log Files Like most standard Website servers we use log files to log certain information about how you use Kinja. We do not, however, collect IP addresses or log IP address information.
- We do not respond to web browser "do not track" or other related mechanisms at this time.
- Ad Serving The ads appearing on this website are delivered to you by our web advertising vendor Google's DoubleClick and/or by Kinja's own proprietary advertising delivery software. In order to serve ads to you, we may use information collected during your current search or visit to our websites and information that we specifically acquire from third parties. Data that we collect may be shared with some other third parties and is only used for proprietary ad delivery, ad reporting, and contextual advertising. These third parties do not have the right to use the information beyond the scope necessary to support our advertising and are usually bound by confidentiality requirements unless we disclose to you otherwise.
- Advertising and Cookies Some of our third party advertising partners may distribute cookies to users in advertisements that are provided to us. Kinja has no access to or control over these cookies once we have received the advertisements. Some of these advertisers and services we use to deliver advertising may be engaging in online behavioral advertising as defined by the Digital Advertising Alliance and FTC.
- Kinja does not provide any Personally Identifiable Information to third-party advertising companies. Note, however, that if an advertiser asks Kinja to show an advertisement to users with certain characteristics (for example, women ages 18-24) or a segment of that group (for example, women ages 18-24 who have viewed certain categories of content) and you respond to that advertisement, the third-party advertising company may conclude that you have the characteristics of the audience that they are trying to reach.
- Opt-out As part of our commitment to transparency and your privacy, we provide the following links to opt-out of cookies provided by both our first party ad server and many third party advertising partners who may be engaging in online behavioral advertising:
- First Party Opt-out Please visit this link to opt-out of cookies from our first party ad serving vendor, Google: http://www.google.com/privacy/ads/
- Third Party and Online Behavioral Advertising Opt-out Please visit this link to opt-out of cookies from over 50+ major third party behavioral advertising providers: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
3. Business Transitions
In the event Kinja goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of a portion of its assets, users' personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred.
4. Contests, Sweepstakes, and Promotions
5. Legal Disclaimer
Though we make every effort to preserve user privacy, Kinja may need to disclose personal information when required by law wherein we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on Kinja or affiliates. If we're going to turn over information related to you, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to provide you with advance notice, unless we are prohibited from doing so by law or court order.
6. Information Security
Kinja has technical, administrative and physical safeguards in place to help protect against unauthorized access to, use or disclosure of user information we maintain. Under our security practices and policies, access to personally identifiable information is authorized only for those who have a business need for such access, and sensitive records are to be retained only as long as necessary for business or legal needs and destroyed before disposal. Although we work hard to protect personal information that we collect and store, no program is one hundred percent secure and we cannot guarantee that our safeguards will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use or disclose personal information.
If you become aware of a security issue, please email us at legal [at] gawker [dot] com. We will work with you to address any problems.
7. Notification of Changes
8. Contact Information
9. Last Update